If my floor plan keeps evolving, it’s going to have opposable thumbs and walk upright.

All of the tweaking I’ve been doing to the floor plan needs to come to a stop because I received this message from my architect yesterday morning:

Angie Builds a House

 

I must admit that I actually squealed!

After I was done squealing, I realized I needed to make some final updates to the floor plan I had given Mike as the starting point for the design. I first met with Mike less than two months ago, but I’ve already tweaked the floor plan at least five times since then. Part of why I’m so glad that he’s getting started is that it gives me a hard stopping point for constantly revisiting and revising the floor plan.  It’s in his hands now, and I have promised him and myself that it’s hands-off until he’s had a chance to work his magic!

Here’s an updated look at the plan. If you click on the image, it will open as a PDF and be easier to read.

Cottage Floor Plan | Angie Builds a House

 

The floor plan really hasn’t changed dramatically. I made a few adjustments that should save some money.  For example, in the master bathroom, the toilet was originally enclosed with a door. I decided that wasn’t necessary and the change will save at least $200-$500 depending on which interior doors I end up choosing.

I also eliminated the bar cabinetry in the kitchen. This change may not be permanent… I really love the idea of having that bar area off to the side, and I liked the cabinetry plan for that area:

Bar Cabinetry | Angie Builds a House

 

But cabinetry is expensive, y’all. My new idea for that area is to find a large vintage hutch that I can use as a bar. Something like one of these:

Vintage hutch makeover project from A Frog In My Soup | Angie Builds a House

 

Vintage hutch makeover from Restyled Vintage | Angie Builds a House

 

Vintage hutch makeover from Suburban Restyled | Angie Builds a House

 

Hopefully I can find a large hutch in the $300-$750 range, as opposed to probably spending $2,200-ish in cabinetry. I can clean up and paint (if needed) a vintage piece, and it will add a lot of character to the space. We’ll see if that works out.

Other tweaks include adding a 9″ base cabinet for baking sheets next to the kitchen sink.  That will provide useful storage, as well as an additional 9″ of space to maneuver between the peninsula and cabinets along the wall. The cabinetry I bought for a song at the local ReStore has been added to the craft room. (Btw, ReStore continues to come through for me and the craft room; I picked up a small, brand new stainless steel sink last weekend for $5!!)

I realigned the living room and craft room walls on the right side so that they line up with one another. Mike pointed out that having those walls out of alignment would add complexity and cost to the build. The change meant losing a bit of space in the living room and gaining a bit of space in the craft room. We’re talking inches, so I don’t think either change is a big deal.

Finally, I added little walls in the entry area and in the space transitioning from the dining room to the living room. Both openings can be framed out to add architectural interest.  This was inspired by something Mike said about looking for relatively inexpensive ways to better define spaces. I’m not sure if these are the right places to do this, or how wide the passageways should be, so I’ll leave that up to Mike’s expertise.

Mike will have the updated, ACTUAL plans ready to review with me in about two weeks… I can’t wait!!!